Next Global Crisis’ “Season 3 Side Mission 5”
I love a good Next Global Crisis team-up. Especially when it’s these two characters teaming up. Let’s take a look at Side Mission 5 from Next Global Crisis.
The episode opens up with Athena coming to at the feet of Hamilton and two Darkheart gang members. Athena is woozy but with the use of her power, she quickly heals herself. The two Darkheart gang members square off against Athena and she does quite well for herself until Hamilton comes in from behind and grabs her in a choke hold. Both Darkheart’s start to land stomach punches and then they literally slap Athena from one person to the other until she falls to the ground.
One Darkheart then grabs her arms while the other grabs her legs and they hold her airborne while Hamilton hits some more stomach punches. Hamilton begins to carry Athena out and that’s when her backup finally arrives in the form of Miss Freedom. MF drops the two Darkhearts with ease and faces off against Hamilton. And Miss Freedom dominates him rather easily, eventually dropping him to his knees. But one of the Darkheart’s hits her in the back which gives Hamilton the opportunity to pick her up in a frontal bearhug.
Hamilton eventually sets her down, hits her with a punch and one of the Darkheart’s strangles her until she is out on her feet. But the length of the fight has bought Athena some time to heal herself and she is right back in the action. Which bring us to the split ending. In one, Athena is forced to kneel at Hamilton’s feet in order to save Miss Freedom’s life, and in the other the heroines force the bad guys to retreat.
I’m not sure how many episodes there are going to be this season but I have to imagine we are getting near the halfway point so let’s discuss some things.
1. I think this is without a doubt the best story telling the genre has ever seen. Look at all the individual and highly interesting plots running through the series right now. Bluebird’s kidnapping. A third mystery group of super-powered women. Miss Freedom fighting for the financial survival of Elite Force. The Darkheart’s growing influence and power, not to mention they now have their hands on Celestia’s staff. Just epic stuff in my opinion.
2. Steel Sister, Virtue, Comet Girl, Hamilton. Every single new casting has been perfect.
3. When I first saw Miss Freedom’s costume in a photo, I said “that’s interesting.” When I first saw it in action I said “I like it.” And now that I’ve seen it again in this episode, I am totally on board. I think it’s my favorite MF costume iteration.
4. I’m missing Bluebird. I know she probably gets more screen time than any other character, but it feels like its been a while.
5. I’m missing Miss Suppression, my favorite villainess. I honestly don’t know if she has a role to play in this Season 3 storyline, but I hope so. I still wonder if Alaric and Miss Suppression will ever find themselves facing off against one another. Would her mere presence in his vicinity nullify his power? I’d love to find out.
6. I’m missing Eliza Rose, my other favorite villainess. I’m sure next time we see Bluebird, Eliza will be there, probably torturing the hell out of her.
7. Last thing I was thinking when I watched this episode and it could be one of the things that Andrew doesn’t quite want us to know yet, but how do Miss Freedom’s powers work? If I remember it right she was granted “Blitz” like powers. That is to say at any point she could have one of her original abilities (super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability) for short time periods…
I guess I just don’t see any sign of when she is using her ability. I can’t recall her ever using the speed or invulnerability aspect of that power. Is it possible she doesn’t have control of it yet? Exactly how strong is she when her ability isn’t active. She was handling Hamilton rather easily until a Darkheart, who I assume is just a regular guy, hurt her with a punch. This is just the extreme nerd side of me thinking way too much about this stuff, but hey, I can’t help it.
Anyway, another really nicely done episode in what I believe is NGC’s best season to date.